This recipe might be a little tart for those of you with a sweet tooth, but please give it a try. I think the sweetness from the apples is more than enough, and if you work on cutting down your sugar intake, I promise you will too with time!
I understand sugar addiction intimately after eating copious amounts of it throughout my life. In recent years I have learnt how to reduce it, and now don’t miss it at all, especially given the number of delicious and healthy recipes out there. I also feel much better mentally, physically and emotionally without it.
I believe everyone should be very careful when it comes to sugar consumption. Parents are in a powerful position to help break the “sugar = treat” cycle. Children are a blank canvas, they don’t associate sugar with happiness like us, unless we train them to. To understand more on sugar, take a read at my previous blog on it here.
My favourite way to serve these muffins is straight out of the oven, cut in half with a good dollop of butter.
Ingredients (makes around 8 small muffins)
- 2 organic/spray-free apples grated
- 2 organic eggs
- 4 TBSP coconut oil OR butter OR ghee
- 2 TBSP almond butter (or just add more coconut oil)
- 2 TBSP of fresh grated ginger OR 1 TBSP ground ginger
- 4 TBSP cup of desiccated coconut
- 4 TBSP of coconut flour OR double the amount of almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- dash of apple cider vinegar (optional, just helps the texture)
Set the oven to 160 deg C
Whisk the wet ingredients together
Fold in the dry ingredientsm being careful not to over-mix
Spoon the mixture into muffin cups
Bake for 15-20 minutes (until they spring back on touch)