I had never been a huge fan of cauliflower, but when I took grains out of my diet I was forced to become a little more experimental with my vegetables. The firm texture and mild flavour of cauliflower make it a surprisingly versatile vegetable that can be substituted for grains in a number of ways. I’ve posted my cauliflower pizza base recipe before (which is delicious!) and this cauliflower popcorn is just as yummy and even easier to prepare.
Why cauliflower popcorn is a far better choice than popcorn made from corn
- Corn has a very high glycemic count – this high sugar and starch count can pretty much guarantee you will crave sugar after eating it
- Cauliflower is super low in starch and sugar, so will in no way upset your sugar and insulin levels
- Corn is a grain and so contains phytic acid – this acid can chelate certain minerals in the gut and prevent your absorption of them.
- Cauliflower is a vegetable so it is much easier to digest and assimilate, especially when it is cooked
- Corn is one of the most highly genetically modified plants on the planet – GMOs require huge amounts of herbicides, pesticides and fungicides, all which are utterly toxic to humans and to our environment
- Cauliflower, especially if you choose organic, is far less likely to have been sprayed with multiple poisons
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 3 TBSP coconut oil/ghee/butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional flavours – chilli / cumin seeds / turmeric / garlic / honey
Preheat the oven to 200°C
Line an oven tray with non toxic baking paper
Cut or break the cauliflower into bite size chunks then wash and thoroughly dry them
Massage the oil, salt and any flavouring of your choice into the cauliflower
Line the cauliflower pieces onto the prepared baking tray
Bake for around 15-20 minutes
Consume and enjoy!