It’s a transitional time for us all at the moment – whether shifting into Spring or Autumn/Fall, this half-cooked / half-raw salad should help ease into whatever the weather is bringing for you next. What I love about this salad is the combination of protein, fats and fresh greens. During seasonal changes some people can really struggle to digest raw vegetables and others can find fats and starchy root vegetables to cause bloating and gas. So striking a balance between ingredients and the manner in which they are prepared can make all the difference.
In this salad coconut and olive oils will provide high quality fats; protein from the egg will satiate, nourish and provide a strong source of building blocks; the greens will boost your nutrient and vitamin count, and their fibre will help clear out your gut on their way through; and the apple cider vinegar and sauerkraut provide excellent probiotics to help the full digestive cycle (breaking the food down, absorbing the goodness, cleaning the gut walls and eliminating waste).
This salad is free from any starchy vegetables so should feel very gentle on the tummy – perfect for those suffering from hormonal imbalances where digestion and energy levels are negatively affected.
- Cold-pressed coconut oil: helps heal the gut, is anti-fungal, antibacterial and an amazing energy source. Read more from me here.
- Cold-pressed olive oil: packed full of antioxidants it boosts the immune system and helps fight off all sorts of nasties
- Organic broccoli, spinach, rocket: help to detox and cleanse the gut, curbing sugar cravings and fighting off candida
- Apple cider vinegar: the best salad dressing! Amongst a whole host of other benefits, I love ACV as it stimulates stomach acids, so acts as an incredible digestive aid
- Sauerkraut: just a little bit goes a long way in helping to balance your gut flora. Read more from me here.
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 pinch of pink / rock / sea salt
- 1 organic egg
- 8 stalks of tender-stem broccoli
- 1 large handful of baby spinach
- 1 large handful of rocket
- 1-2 tbsps sauerkraut
- 1 tbsp cold-pressed organic olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
Heat the coconut oil in a small pan on a low heat
Bring a small pot of water to boil
Set aside a large salad bowl
Finely chop the celery and add it to the fry pan along with the cumin and salt. Cook on low for 5 minutes.
Add the broccoli to the pot of water. Cover and turn the heat down. Steam for 5 minutes.
In the large salad bowl add the baby spinach, rocket, sauerkraut, apple cider vinegar and olive oil and mix well.
Once cooked add the celery and broccoli and mix well.
Lightly fry or poach your egg – keep the yolk runny for the best health benefits and yummiest flavour!
Top the salad with the egg and consume!
Vegan – add some lightly fried tempeh (avoid tofu if you can)
Pescetarians – pan-fry or grill a piece of wild salmon or makarel
Omnivores – chop a chicken breast or bacon strips into small pieces and pan fry or grill in coconut oil / butter /ghee/ lard